Thursday, May 15, 2008

Propane Cylinder Alerts

The following article forwarded to me by my son in west Texas could save many lives due to the deteorization of the valves on propane cylinders. Thus making total Horse Sense, A simple color check of valves on EXCHANGE Propane cylinders.

Do not skip over this, thinking that "I don't have anhydrous ammonia around my place." You probably don't but the people who make illegal

Please read and heed the warnings in this post very carefully.

The below information was sent to us from ExxonMobil Complex here in Baton Rouge.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Subject: Safety Announcement: Propane Tank Danger

Hello everyone,

For those of you who like to grill it up during the summer, here's a safety announcement you should be aware of... Please put this information out to ALL personnel. This message was sent to me and I thought it should be shared. I personally do not exchange my propane tank. For those of you that do, this is something you definitely need to be aware of, especially in light of the recent news of "Meth-labs" in our area.

The following came from an email sent to me:

"There was a meth training/workshop yesterday and there was a lot of great new information presented. I wanted to let you all know about one thing that I was not aware of.

Meth cooks are getting the propane tanks from the exchanges at Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. and emptying them of the propane. Then, they are filling them with anhydrous ammonia (which they now have a recipe for). After they are finished with them, they return them to the store. They are then refilled with propane and sent back for you and me to buy. Anhydrous ammonia is very corrosive and weakens the structure of the tank. It can be very dangerous when mixed with propane and hooked up to our grills, etc.

According to our presenter, you should inspect the propane tank for any blue or greenish residue around the valve areas. If it is present, refuse to purchase that one. The information was researched, and you should check out the following website for more details. They also have pictures you can show.

Please click on the site below, the information it contains could save your life!

http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=529

Be careful out there!

No comments: